You are now leaving the City of College Station websiteloading

Victim Services

Last item for navigation

College Station Police Department - Victim Services

After a crime or traumatic event, it can be difficult to know where to turn. Our department is prepared to help you find the assistance you or your family needs. The Victim Services program is designed to assist victims or witnesses that are experiencing difficult times after a crime or traumatic event with referrals to community organizations, assistance with the Texas Crime Victim Compensation Fund, or help with the criminal justice process.

Victims of crime are guaranteed certain rights and participation in the criminal justice system under Texas law. The Crime Victims’ Rights are within the Texas Constitution Article 1, § 30 and the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure, Subchapter B. These rights, which are listed below, are current through the Regular Session of the 88th Legislature.

To exercise your rights as a crime victim it is necessary to contact crime victim service providers to discuss and request, if applicable, your rights and available services. Your local district or county attorney’s office, law enforcement agency, or supervising agency (probation or prison) have crime victim service providers and staff available to assist you.
    Sexual Assault
    If you think you have been sexually assaulted,
    we encourage you to seek medical attention at your nearest emergency room as soon as possible. Baylor Scott and White Hospital in College Station has trained forensic nurses available to care for you following an assault.
    Their address is 700 Scott and White Dr. College Station, TX 77845

    If you are in need of support, the Sexual Assault Resource Center is ready to help you.
    Find out more by calling 979.731.1000 or by visiting

    What is sexual assault?

    Sexual assault occurs when a person causes the penetration of the anus or sexual organ of another person by any means, without that person's consent; or causes the penetration of the mouth of another person by the sexual organ of the actor, without that person's consent; or causes the sexual organ of another person, without that person's consent, to contact or penetrate the mouth, anus, or sexual organ of another person, including the actor. Sexual assault is without consent if the actor compels the other person to submit by the use of physical violence, by threat, or if the actor knows that the person is unconscious and is physically unable to consent.

    Texas Penal Code Sec. 22.011

    Do I have to report the assault?

    It is up to you to decide what is right for you. Whether you make a report or not, you are eligible to receive the free and confidential services of your local sexual assault program. If you do not want to make a report, you may tell the responding officer at that time and still receive the medical treatment you need and a forensic exam if requested. For your health and for the purpose of evidence collection it is important to seek medical attention at an emergency room as soon as possible.

    Does a forensic medical exam cost money?

    The forensic part of an exam is of no cost to you. If there are additional expenses, you are eligible to apply for Crime Victim's Compensation.

    As a survivor of sexual assault, you may feel one or more of the following emotional reactions:
    • You may believe you allowed the sexual assault to happen
    • You may feel guilty because you think you did not do enough to fight off your attacker
    • You may feel angry and take it out on those you love
    • You may feel afraid that your attacker will come back
    • You may feel ashamed of what has happened to you
    • You may feel unclean, even after bathing
    You may notice some changes to your normal routine. These changes may include:
    • You may not be able to sleep or you may have nightmares
    • You may find your eating habits changing
    • You may not want to be left alone or you may want to be left alone
    • You may not be able to resume your normal sexual relationship with the one you love
    • You may have trouble concentrating and making decisions
    If you are able, avoid activities that could potentially damage evidence such as:
    • Bathing or showering
    • Using the restroom
    • Changing clothes
    • Combing hair
    • Cleaning up the scene
    Crime Victim Compensation Application



    The Crime Victims' Compensation Program reimburses out-of-pocket expenses to victims of violent crime and their families. The Crime Victims' Compensation Fund can help eligible victims pay for medical and counseling bills incurred because of the crime and can help families cover the cost of the funeral for a loved one who has been killed.

    Victims of violence and their families must deal with the emotional, physical, and financial aftermath of crime. The Texas Crime Victims' Compensation Fund helps victims and their families when they have no other means of paying for the financial cost of crime.

    If you are a victim of violent crime, you may be eligible for benefits. Please read the following information carefully before filling out the Crime Victims' Compensation application form.

    The crime must occur in Texas to a Texas resident or a United States resident, or
    the crime must involve a Texas resident who becomes a victim in another state or country that does not have crime victims' compensation benefits for which the victim would be eligible.

    Reporting the Crime:
    The crime must be reported to the appropriate law enforcement agency within a reasonable period of time, but not so late as to interfere with or hamper the investigation and prosecution of the crime.

    Filing for Compensation (TCCP, Art.56.37.):
    You must file the application within three years from the date of the crime. The time may be extended for good cause, including the age of the victim or the physical or mental incapacity of the victim.

    Cooperation (TCCP, Art.56.45.):
    A claim may be denied or reduced if the claimant or victim has not cooperated with the appropriate law enforcement agencies.

    Who May Qualify (TCCP, Art.56.32.):

    -An innocent victim of crime who suffers physical and/or emotional harm or death
    -an authorized individual acting on behalf of a victim
    -a person who legally assumes the obligations or voluntarily pays certain expenses related to the crime on behalf of the victim
    -a dependent of a victim
    -an immediate family member or household members related by blood or marriage who require psychiatric care or counseling as a result of the crime
    -an intervenor who goes to the aid of the victim or a peace officer
    -a peace officer, fire fighter, or individual whose employment includes the duty of protecting the public

    Who Is Not Eligible:
    Benefits may be reduced or denied if the behavior of the victim contributed to the crime.

    Benefits shall be denied if the victim or claimant:
    -knowingly or willingly participated in the crime
    -is the offender or accomplice of the offender
    -was incarcerated in a penal institution at the time of the crime
    -knowingly or intentionally submits false or forged information to the attorney general

    An award of compensation to the claimant or victim will be denied if it would benefit the offender or an accomplice of the offender.

    Safety Plan



    The following suggestions are provided to assist you in considering alternatives to keep yourself and your children safe.
    - Try to be in a place that has an exit and not a bathroom, kitchen or room that might have weapons.
    - Know ways to leave your home safely such as doors, windows, elevators and stairwells.
    - Try to find a neighbor that you can tell about the violence. Ask them to call the police if they hear a disturbance coming from your home.
    - Develop a code to relay to children, family, friends, or neighbors when you need someone to call the police.
    - Think ahead about where you will go if you ever have to leave your home.
    - Always use your instincts and judgment in a dangerous situation.
    - Try to keep the abuser calm until you are able to reach a safe place.

    The following is information about what you can choose to do if you want to prepare to leave.
    - Open a checking account or savings account in your own name.
    - IF IT IS SAFE FOR YOU TO DO SO - leave money, keys, copies of important documents, extra clothes, medicines, and phone numbers in a safe place or with someone that you trust. Do not do this if you think the abuser might find the belongings and retaliate against you.
    - Have your own Post Office Box.
    - Find a safe place for you and your children to go.
    - Contact a friend that you feel comfortable borrowing money from if you have to.
    - Keep the shelter phone number, change for making a call, or a phone card on you for emergency phone calls.
    - Arrange for family pets to be cared for in a safe place.


    Always Remember that leaving your batterer is the
    most dangerous time for you and your children.


    Obtaining a Protective Order
    - If you or your children have been threatened or assaulted, you can request a protective order from the County Attorney's Office.
    - Always keep a copy of your protective order with you.
    - Call the police if your partner violates the protective order.
    - Inform family members, friends, and neighbors that you have a protective order in effect.
    - Think of alternative ways to keep safe if the police do not respond immediately.

    If you stay in your own residence
    - Lock your windows and change the locks on your doors.
    - Teach your children a safety plan for when you are not with them.
    - Confirm with your school and daycare about who has permission to pick up your children
    - Never call the abuser from your home. They will know where you live and that you are at home currently. Never tell anyone that might tell the abuser where you are living.
    - Request an unlisted number from the telephone company.

    At work or in public
    - Decide who at work you will trust to inform of your situation. Consider the office building security if possible. Provide this person with a picture of your batterer.
    - If possible, have someone at work screen your telephone calls.
    - Have someone escort you to and from your car or bus.
    - Use several different routes when coming and going from your home. It reduces the chance of someone learning your routine.

    The following suggestions are for items that you might want to take with you if it is safe to do so.

    Remember - All items can be replaced, but you cannot.

    - Driver's license
    - Birth certificate
    - Children's birth certificates
    - Social Security cards

    - Money
    - Credit cards in your name. Remember that credit cards can be traced.
    - Checking or savings account books

    Legal papers
    - Protective Order
    - Marriage license
    - Lease, rental agreement, house deed
    - Car registration and insurance
    - Health and life insurance papers
    - Medical records for you and your children
    - School records
    - Work permits, green cards, visa
    - Passport
    - Divorce or custody papers

    - Medications
    - House and car keys
    - Valuable jewelry
    - Address book
    - Pictures and sentimental items
    - Change of clothes for you and your children

Contact Information

For more information on victim rights and the status of your case please call an advocate with CSPD victim services program at 979.764.2642 or email at [email protected].

City of College Station | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2024 Civiclive.