Skip to page body Home About Community Living Doing Business Browse by Topic I Want to... Your Government

A building permit is a license which grants legal permission to start a construction project.  Building permits provide a means for the Building Division to reduce the potential hazards of unsafe construction, therefore ensuring the public health, safety and welfare.  Before any construction work begins on a new structure, remodel or renovation project, an application for a building permit should be made. 

For information about the permitting process for a new multi-family or commercial project please click here.

The following link will take you to our interactive building permit  page, where you can find information about obtaining a permit for construction of a new single-family dwelling or duplex as well as other miscellaneous residential permits (pools, fences, decks, etc.).

Permits are typically required for sub-contractor work as well, such as plumbing systems, electrical systems and HVAC systems (heating, ventilating, air conditioning).

  • PLUMBING PERMITS are required to install, alter, enlarge, or repair a plumbing system.  Exceptions include work required to unstop a drain line, provided, however, that a trap, drain, waste or vent pipe is not removed and replaced with new material as part of the process. A plumbing permit is also required to install, alter, enlarge or repair a gas piping system. 

  • ELECTRICAL PERMITS are required to install electrical wiring, devices, appliances, fixtures and electrical equipment in the City of College Station.  Exceptions include replacing fuses, snap switches, and signal conveying systems. 

  • MECHANICAL PERMITS are required to install, enlarge, alter, repair or replace a mechanical system.  Exceptions include the installation of portable heating devices, portable cooling units and the replacement of any minor part that does not alter the approval of equipment or make the equipment unsafe. 

The City of College Station requires contractors to register prior to obtaining a building permit. 

A homeowner may obtain a building permit to perform work on a building that is owned and occupied by him as his homestead without registering with the City as a contractor.  However, licensed contractors must obtain all electrical, plumbing, and mechanical permits. 

In order to register, sub-contractors must provide a copy of their state license, a Certificate of Insurance, $60 registration fee and a completed contractor registration form.  General contractors must provide a completed contractor registration form and $61.26 registration fee.

For more information about the permitting and registration process, please contact Planning & Development Services Building Division at or call 979.764.3570.

Download Acrobat Reader

PDF viewer is required for some of the attached documents.
Please download it by clicking on the icon on left.

Last updated: 11/16/2018 1:48:45 PM