College Station Parks and Recreation Departments has three properties with Official Texas Historical Markers - the College Station Cemetery, Richard Carter Park, and Lincoln Recreation Center. All three markers are "Subject Markers". Subject markers are for historic figures, cemeteries, events, groups, some buildings, and all are educational in nature. For more information on Official Texas Historical Markers and designations, visit thc.state.tx.us.
The College Station Cemetery located at 2604 Texas Avenue is the location for the Shiloh Community marker:
"Settled in the 1860's by Czech, German, and Polish immigrants, the Shiloh Community was an area of large family farms. In addition to homes and farms, the settlement at one time boasted a community center, a two-room school, a vineyard, a mill, and a blacksmith shop. The families of Shiloh Community maintained a cooperative relationship, often helping each other with planting, harvesting, barn building, and other activities. In 1883, to coordinate assistance efforts and group purchases of farm supplies, they formed the Slavonic Agricultural and Benevolent Society, which still exists in reorganized form as the Shiloh Club. The community later was completely encompassed by the City of College Station. Mrs. William G. Rector deeded land at this site to the local Methodist Church in 1870 for use as a community cemetery. The property later was acquired by the City of College Station, which established a larger city cemetery around the original Shiloh Graveyard. Although little remains of the Shiloh Community, this cemetery serves as a reminder of a once thriving community." Richard Carter Park
located at 1800 Brazoswood is the location for the Richard Carter Homesite
"In 1831, Richard Carter (1789-1863), Virginia native and War of 1812 veteran, came from Alabama and received a grant of land within the Stephen F. Austin Colony at the site of what is now the City of College Station. He became one of the area's wealthiest land and slave owners, raising cattle, corn, and cotton during the years before the Civil War. Carter was appointed to the first Board of Commissioners after Brazos County was created in 1841 and helped survey Boonville, its first county seat. Evidence of the Carter home and the family cemetery has been found in this area."
The African American Education in College Station
marker is located at the Lincoln Recreation Center
at 1000 Eleanor.
"Formal education for African Americans in Brazos County began as a result of the Public School Act of 1871. Classes were held in many small community and church-related schools, and by 1923 there were 127 African American students in the A&M Consolidated School District. Buildings accommodated only elementary school students until an agreement was reached to bus pupils to the Kemp High School in Bryan. The A&M School District paid the expenses. In the 1930's the number of African American students grew steadily. Rising costs of tuition and transportation prompted the A&M District to approve and build a high school in College Station. The A&M Consolidated Negro School opened in 1941. An athletic field was added in 1946 and the name of the school was changed to Lincoln School. The building was expanded in 1948. A fire in 1966 destroyed one of three classroom buildings, displacing 100 students. The burned facilities were not rebuilt. The City of College Station leased the land and the remaining five buildings in the late 1960s, and restored the site in 1972. The city bought the land in 1978 and dedicated the Lincoln Center in 1980. The former school is now the home of many community activities in College Station."
For more information, call 979.764.3486, email firstname.lastname@example.org
or visit the Stephen C. Beachy Central Park Office, located at 1000 Krenek Tap Road in College Station.