Location: 1800 Brazoswood,
off Earl Rudder Freeway
Size: 7.14 Acres
Classification: Neighborhood Park and Historic Site
Date Acquired: 1983
Richard Carter Park is College Station's only historically significant park. It is the site of the Richard Carter homestead. Carter was College Station's earliest settler, arriving from Alabama in 1831. His original land grant, of one league (4,428 acres) from the Mexican government, covers most of what is College Station today. Development in the park includes an interpretive center with displays about Richard Carter and the reconstruction of the original water well. There is also an open play area, a discovery garden area featuring decks, seating, indigenous plants, a historical marker, and a bronze statue by Albert Pedulla. The sculpture was installed in 1986 and symbolizes the staking of the claim by Richard Carter, which resulted in the settlement of College Station and the Brazos Valley. The development of this park was an officially sanctioned Texas Sesquicentennial Project. In 1991, the graves of Richard Carter, his wife, and family members were moved from an adjacent site to the park itself. Additional lights were added in 1998.