Air conditioning is one of mankind's greatest creations, especially for Texans. Unfortunately, it can also be expensive. About half of your annual energy bill can be attributed to air conditioning. The thermostat that controls your HVAC system can be the key to lowering your costs.
The device itself doesn’t directly consume electricity, but significant savings can be realized by reducing the run time of your system. Thanks to technological advancements, you can save energy by remotely controlling your thermostat with your smartphone. That means you can reset your connected thermostat to pre-cool your home before returning from work, or you can adjust it while on vacation.
College Station Utilities will offer a $30 rebate to residential customers who purchase an eligible thermostat through the Connected Thermostat Program. Here’s everything you need to know about this new program:
• You must be a College Station Utilities electric customer.
• The thermostat you purchase must be able to communicate with an internet-connected wireless network. Qualifying thermostat brands are Nest, Honeywell, Radio Thermostat, Ecobee, Emerson, Carrier, Schneider Electric, Lux GEO, Lockstate, Trane, Hunter and First Alert.
• Your HVAC must be a standard system, such as a split system, package unit, mini-split system or heat pump.
• You must provide on the application the HVAC tonnage or the square footage controlled by the thermostat.
• You must provide the purchase receipt for the approved thermostat.
Once the application is approved, College Station Utilities will credit the rebate to your utility account.