- High School Diploma or G.E.D. equivalent and valid Texas drivers license.
- Ability to successfully complete a minimum of 4 weeks of training which provides the skills and abilities to cope with stressful conditions and situations, basic knowledge of criminal law, crime scene techniques and report writing.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally, follow oral and written instructions, and exercise sound judgment in decision making.
- Must have good listening skills and possess the ability to conduct multiple tasks such as, operating telephones and computer equipment simultaneously while working with multiple interruptions.
- Must have the acute ability to react quickly and calmly in emergency situations; deal effectively and courteously with associates and in response to the public.
- Ability to successfully complete required courses in: Multi-culturalism, defensive tactics and tactical handcuffing and a state jail certification program.
- Possess basic typing skills (typing assessment administered).
- Willingness to and/or ability to work shifts including nights, holidays and weekends.
- Applicants who have used any felony grade controlled substance within the last five years are not acceptable unless the drug was prescribed by a licensed physician.
- Abuse of any prescription medication within the last three years is not acceptable.
- Candidates having used or consumed marijuana within the last three years are not acceptable.
DETENTION OFFICER HIRING PROCESS
- Candidate Applies Before Application Filing Deadline
- Aptitude Test Administered
- Typing Test Administered
- Return Personal History Statement to Police Department
- Records Check
- Oral Interview
- Fingerprinting Check
- Background Investigation
- Interview with Assistant Chief
- Drug Screen and Medical Examination*
- Candidate Selected OR Application Held For Future Consideration
Candidates must be successful in each phase of the selection process.
Candidates may be eliminated or disqualified at any point in the process for failure to meet the criteria set forth by the Police Department.
*A conditional offer of employment will have been made before the drug screen and medical exam are administered.
The expected duration of the application process is 60-90 days. Those successfully completing the selection process will be placed on an eligibility list for six months. After six months, the applicant must reapply. Applicants who fail to successfully complete any portion of the selection process shall be notified in writing by the Human Resources Department. This notification will include the eligibility date to reapply which will be no sooner than 30 days from the rejection date.
The City of College Station is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Veteran Friendly Employer