Citizens Police Academy (CPA) is an interactive program designed to offer citizens an inside look at their local police department and the criminal justice system. This academy allows citizens and police officers to interact in a positive and proactive setting.
Sessions are held on Tuesday nights at the College Station Police Department from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. for 13 weeks each spring and fall. In order to graduate with a certificate, participants cannot miss more than three sessions. The academy is free of charge and supplies are not required.
The 57th Citizens Police Academy begins August 21, 2018. ---> CLICK HERE TO APPLY.
History of College Station Policing
- Learn about our first city marshal and how we’ve grown since 1939.Tour of Police Department
- See where we work and walk through our dispatch and jail facilities.Communications Division
- Find out what happens when someone calls 911 for an emergency.The function of Patrol
- Learn why patrol officers are the backbone of every police department.Ride-Along with an Officer
- Ride in a police vehicle through the city streets with an officer on duty.Criminal Investigation Division
- Hear from detectives on how they handle cases of theft, assault and other crimes.Crime Scene Investigation
- Forensic experts tell you how they collect evidence after major crimes.District/County Attorney Procedures
- Learn about the Texas criminal justice laws, statutes, and processes.S.W.A.T. and Hostage Negotiations
- Discover the special skills needed to respond in dangerous situations.Traffic Stops
(role play) - Participate in live demonstrations and learn what it’s like to be a traffic cop.Narcotics and Gangs
- Learn the impact of drug trafficking and gang activity in our community.Recruiting & Training
- Find out what it takes to serve as a member of our police department.Crime Victim’s Advocate
- Learn how we assist victims, witnesses and families after a traumatic event.Building Searches
(role play) - Get ready for some intense action as you enter a building full of surprises.
CPA ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
After graduation, CPA participants can continue in their support of the College Station Police Department by joining the CPA Alumni Association. This special group allows CPA graduates to assist with future academies and other activities that emphasize crime prevention. The association holds monthly meetings with guest speakers who present on a variety of topics.
CSPD Citizens Police Academy Alumni Association Facebook Page
Sergeant Roy Shelton
— Community Enhancement Unit (CEU)