If you are living in a structure that is beyond repair, you may be eligible for the Housing Reconstruction Loan Program. Reconstruction assistance is provided through a forgivable and low-interest, repayable loan of up to $110,000 for the cost to demolish and reconstruct a substandard house.
Your home will first be considered as a rehabilitation project. If it is determined, according to HUD requirements, that your home is infeasible to rehabilitate, it will be included in the Housing Reconstruction Loan Program. Dilapidated structures will be demolished, and a new, modest, affordable home will be reconstructed in its place.
Important Documents - Must apply through the Rehabilitation Program
Rehabilitation Program Checklist
Rehabilitation Program Application
Rehabilitation Program Summary
To qualify for the Housing Reconstruction Loan Program:
- You must own and occupy a house that is dilapidated beyond repair;
- The house must be located within the College Station City Limits;
- You must provide an application fee of $25;
- You must be current on your property taxes;
- You must have homeowner's insurance;
- There can be no existing mortgage and no outstanding liens;
- The house must be determined infeasible to rehabilitate by City staff;
- Your family income cannot exceed the current HUD published Median Income Limits for the City of College Station;
- You must have a credit score of 575 or greater;
- You may not have more than $20,000 in liquid assets, excluding retirement accounts and personal property; and
- You must complete a homeowner education course with City staff after your application is approved.
To apply for this program, please download the Important Documents above, complete and return to the Community Development Office with all applicable information.
If you have additional questions, please contact the City of College Station's Community Development Office at (979) 764-3778.