The Traffic Unit is part of the Special Operations Division and falls under the command of the Operational Support Bureau. The Sergeant and officers assigned to this unit operate on 2013 Harley Davidson Road King motorcycles year round. The safe movement of traffic throughout the city is one of the city council’s top priorities. As the city’s population continues to increase, traffic related problems will continue to be of utmost importance to the citizens of this community as well as the College Station Police Department. With this in mind, the Traffic Unit is doing its part to provide quality traffic related services to the citizens of this community. We have adopted a goal of “reducing the number of crashes within our city, and those that we cannot prevent, we strive to reduce the severity of them”. This is accomplished by maintaining a “highly visible” presence while actively enforcing traffic violations, especially those that are considered hazardous in nature.
The duties of this unit consist of the following:
- Enforce state law and local ordinances
- Enforce traffic violations at high crash locations
- Provide traffic enforcement in school zones during applicable time periods
- Work problem traffic areas that are identified by citizen’s complaints and from within the department
- Provide police escorts for motorcades
- Complete collision reconstruction and investigation on serious injury and/or fatal traffic crashes
- Attend neighborhood meetings and provide Public Service Announcements
- Assist Day Shift Patrol in working minor crashes throughout the day
- When required, provide backup to patrol units and function as a patrol unit
If you have any traffic related issues or are interested in having a member of the Traffic Unit give a presentation to your group, please notify Sergeant Blaine Krauter (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call (979) 764-3635.