Water is a precious resource, so making the most efficient use of it is a great idea. Now, it can be financially rewarding too! In order to encourage the efficient use of water resources and to help lower treatment costs, the City of College Station has developed water conservation rebate program.
The rebate program generally works like this:
- Available to College Station Utilities water customers with account in good standing.
- Offered on a first-come, first-served basis and are subject to availability of funds.
- Before a rebate is issued, city staff may need to come to your home or business to verify that the rebated item is in place.
- The first items to eligible for rebates are high-efficiency toilets and rainwater collection barrels. Other items may be eligible for rebates in the future, but in any case the items will be selected entirely on the basis of water efficiency.
- If you are installing a toilet or rain barrel yourself, please remember that College Station Utilities and the City of College Station are not responsible for the condition of the plumbing on customer’s side of the meter, now or in the future.
- Rebate amounts are contingent on budgeted available funds and are not guaranteed from year to year or from application to application.
- Submit rebate forms and receipts to:
College Station Utilities
Water Services Dept
Attn: Water Conservation Rebate
P.O. Box 9960
College Station, TX 77842
|Note: Attach rebate form and scanned receipts if submitting rebate application by email. |
RAIN BARREL REBATE
- Purchase a new or refurbished food-grade barrel designed to hold 30 gallons of water or more. "Self-made" rain barrels such as trash cans are not eligible for a rebate.
- Submit your dated and itemized receipt (original or copy) together with a rain barrel rebate application form to College Station Water Services within 90 days of purchase.
- A site inspection may be conducted before College Station issues the rebate. The rain barrel must be installed and functional at the time of the inspection.
- There is a limit of two rain barrels per household and the rebate is $25 per barrel or actual cost of barrel if less than $25.
- The rebate will appear as a credit on your utility bill.
- If you purchase a translucent barrel, it will need to be painted in a dark color to prevent the growth of algae.
- Don't forget to screen the opening to your barrel to restrict access by children and animals, and prevent mosquitoes.
HIGH-EFFICIENCY TOILET (HET) REBATE - RESIDENTIAL CUSTOMERS
- Purchase a new, WaterSense labeled toilet. The toilet must be labeled as WaterSense and use 1.28 gallons per flush (gpf) or less. Click here for a list of WaterSense toilets.
- Install your toilet in the City of College Station water service area (not all parts of the City of College Station are in the College Station water service area).
- Submit your dated and itemized receipt along with a residential toilet rebate application form to College Station Water Services within 90 days of purchase and/or installation.
NOTE: Toilets using less than three gallons per flush and/or in homes built after 1994 do not qualify for the toilet rebate.
The amount of your rebate will vary as follows:
- HET Retrofit rebate: 50% of the cost of a new WaterSense toilet and any parts sold with toilet (bolts, wax ring, etc.) replacing an existing high-volume toilet (more than three gallons per flush) in a home built prior to 1994, up to $100 per toilet. Homes built after 1994 are not eligible for the HET retrofit rebate.
- HET Upgrade rebate: 25% of the cost of a new toilet and any parts sold with toilet (bolts, wax ring, etc.) installed in new construction, up to $50 per toilet.
Prior to issuance of a rebate check, a representative from the City of College Station may conduct a site inspection to verify toilet installation. The toilet must be installed and functional at the time of the inspection.
Limit one toilet per bathroom, two toilets total per household, for the lifetime of such household at that location.
HIGH-EFFICIENCY TOILET (HET) REBATE - MULTI-FAMILY/COMMERCIAL CUSTOMERS
- Commercial and Multi-Family water customers must submit an application and receive pre-approval before removing old toilets to be eligible for a rebate. In order to qualify for the rebate, the toilets must be new Water-Sense certified toilets. Click here for a list of WaterSense toilets.
- Upon application and approval, the city will mail a Letter of Approval. Retrofit must be completed & new toilets installed within one year of such letter of approval.
- Submit notification of toilet installation, with itemized receipts, to College Station Water Services.
The amount of your rebate will vary, as follows:
- HET Retrofit rebate: 50% of the wholesale cost of a new Water Sense toilet replacing an existing high-volume toilet over three gallons per flush.
- HET New Construction rebate: 25% of the wholesale cost of toilets installed in new construction.
Rebate checks must be issued in the name of the property owner as verified by tax records or the current utility account holder(s) or a third-party designated in the utility’s billing system.