Water is a precious resource, so making the most efficient use of it has always been a great idea. Now, it can be a financially rewarding idea too! In order to encourage the efficient use of water resources and help lower treatment costs for the City, College Station has developed water conservation rebate program. Rebates are offered on these items: rainwater collection barrels and High Efficiency Toilets (1.28 gallons per flush or less) for single-family residential and multi-family and commercial customers. Click the links to go directly to information about each rebate.
The rebate program generally works like this:
- Rebates are available to College Station Utilities water customers with an account in good standing.
- Rebates are offered on a first come, first served basis and are subject to availability of funds.
- Before we issue a rebate, we may need to come to your home or business and verify that the rebated item is in place.
- The first items to eligible for rebates are high-efficiency toilets and rainwater collection barrels. Other items may be eligible for rebates in the future, but in any case the items will be selected entirely on the basis of water efficiency.
- If you are installing a toilet or rain barrel yourself, great! But remember that College Station Utilities and the City of College Station aren't responsible for the condition of the plumbing on customer’s side of the meter, now or in the future.
- Rebate amounts are contingent on budgeted available funds and are not guaranteed from year to year or from application to application.
- Submit rebate forms and receipts by mail to: College Station Utilities - Water Services Department - Attn: Water Conservation Rebate PO Box 9960 College Station, TX 77842
- Submit rebate forms and copies of receipts by FAX to: 979-764-3452
How to apply for a Rain Barrel Rebate:
- Purchase a new or refurbished food-grade barrel, designed to hold water, with a capacity to hold 30 gallons or more. "Self-made" rain barrels such as trash cans are not eligible for a rebate.
- Submit your dated and itemized receipt (original or copy), together with a rain barrel rebate application form, to College Station Water Services within 90 days of purchase.
- A site inspection may be conducted before College Station issues the rebate. The rain barrel must be installed and functional at the time of the inspection.
There is a limit of 2 rain barrels per household, and the rebate is $25 per barrel or actual cost of barrel if less than $25.
Don't forget to screen the opening to your barrel to restrict access and prevent mosquitoes. TIP: If you purchase a translucent barrel, it will need to be painted in a dark color to prevent the growth of algae.
Purchase a new, Water-Sense labeled toilet. The toilet must be labeled as WaterSense and use 1.28 gallons per flush (gpf) or less.
Water-Sense toilets are listed on this list: http://www.epa.gov/watersense/products/index.html
and identified with the Water Sense logo above.
Install your toilet in the City of College Station water service area (not all parts of the City of College Station are in the College Station water service area).
NOTE: Toilets using less than 3 gallons per flush and/or in homes built after 1994 do not qualify for the toilet rebate.
The amount of your rebate will vary as follows:
- HET Retrofit rebate: 50% of the cost of a new Water Sense toilet and any parts sold with toilet (bolts, wax ring, etc.) replacing an existing high-volume toilet (over 3 gallons per flush) in a home built prior to 1994, up to $100 per toilet. Homes built after 1994 are not eligible for the HET retrofit rebate.
- HET Upgrade rebate: 25% of the cost of a new toilet and any parts sold with toilet (bolts, wax ring, etc.) installed in new construction, up to $50 per toilet.
Prior to issuance of a rebate check, a representative from the City of College Station may conduct a site inspection to verify toilet installation. The toilet must be installed and functional at the time of the inspection.
Limit one toilet per bathroom, two toilets total per household, for the lifetime of such household at that location.
How to apply for a toilet rebate - MULTI-FAMILY/COMMERCIAL customers:
- Commercial and Multi-Family water customers must submit an application and receive pre-approval before removing old toilets to be eligible for a rebate. In order to qualify for the rebate, the toilets must be new Water-Sense certified toilets. Water Sense certified products are listed here: http://www.epa.gov/watersense/products/index.html
- Upon application and approval, the city will mail a Letter of Approval. Retrofit must be completed & new toilets installed within one year of such letter of approval.
- Submit notification of toilet installation, with itemized receipts, to College Station Water Services.
The amount of your rebate will vary, as follows:
- HET Retrofit rebate: 50% of the wholesale cost of a new Water Sense toilet replacing an existing high-volume toilet over 3 gallons per flush.
- HET New Construction rebate: 25% of the wholesale cost of toilets installed in new construction.
Rebate checks must be issued in the name of the property owner as verified by tax records or the current utility account holder(s) or a third-party designated in the utility’s billing system.