If you experience any issues while trying to submit a Rental Registration License online or need help setting up an eTRAKiT user account, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
To register online, users can access a secure site called eTRAKiT, which is accessible only through the City of College Station website: www.cstx.gov/rentalregistration. Complete the rental registration license forms along with the annual fee of $15 for single-family structures or $7.50 per each side of a duplex.
FIRST TIME USERS
For Property Owners registering their property with the Rental Registration License Program for the FIRST TIME, please do the following:
- In the black bar at the top of the eTRAKiT screen, change the "Contractor" pull-down to "Public", then click on Setup An Account. Please note that you need to set up a PUBLIC account, not a Contractor account. Set up your account with username and password; you will receive email confirmation. Then go to eTRAKiT and log in to your Public account.
- Follow the steps, and enter all required information. "Type" is Rental Registration. "Licensee Name" is YOUR name or LLC. Continue through all screens.
- If you do not live in College Station, you are required by City Ordinance to have a local contact within 30 miles of College Station City Hall. If you do not provide a local contact when creating a license, we cannot approve and activate your rental license until you provide the required information.
For Property Owners who wish to RENEW their existing Rental Registration License, please DO NOT open a new account/license; if you renew on eTRAKiT, please search for your existing license and renew it - DO NOT create a new license. Returning users need to do the following:
- Go to "Renew a License". Please DO NOT create a new license if you already have an existing license for a property. If you do so, you will be invoiced for two licenses on the same property. Follow the steps on the eTRAKiT screen. You may pay with Visa, MasterCard, or Discover.
- If you do not live in College Station, you are required by City Ordinance to have a local contact within 30 miles of College Station City Hall. If you do not provide a local contact when you renew a license, we cannot approve and activate your rental license until you provide the required information.
Rental Registration Licenses must be renewed each year.
In 2009, the College Station City Council sought to maintain neighborhood integrity by adopting a rental registration ordinance that requires single-family and duplex rental properties to be registered with the city. The registration process helps prevent problems and improves communication among neighborhoods, property owners and the city.
The program’s goal is to identify rental property ownership with a local contact in case of health, safety or other code violations that might be detrimental to properties, tenants or surrounding neighborhoods. The program also helps the city keep property owners informed of new ordinances, laws or issues that might affect their properties. The intent is to keep neighborhoods safe, clean and peaceful for everyone. Similar programs have been successfully implemented in university communities across the country.
On June 24, 2014, the City Council revised the rental registration ordinance to include a citation provision and a requirement that the lease be presented upon request to the administrator for review. The revisions take effect on Aug. 11, 2014.
The City of College Station defines a family as one or more persons occupying a single dwelling unit that are related by blood, adoption, guardianship, marriage, or are part of a group home for disabled persons. The city does not allow for more than four unrelated individuals to occupy a dwelling unit. (City of College Station Code of Ordinances; Chapter 12: UDO: Article 11: Definitions - Family).
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR REGISTERING?
The rental property owner is responsible for registering. Out-of-town owners must designate a local contact person responsible for the property. The local contact cannot be someone listed on the lease and must reside within 30 miles of College Station City Hall. Tenants are not required to register
.ARE ALL RENTAL UNITS REQUIRED TO REGISTER?
No. The ordinance only applies to single-family and duplex rental properties. Single-family or duplex dwelling units that are not owner occupied -- regardless if rent is charged -- are considered rental properties. Residential structures providing complete, independent living facilities for two separate families -- including permanent provisions for living, sleeping, cooking, eating and sanitation in each unit – are considered duplex dwellings. Residential units that provide complete, independent living facilities for one family -- including permanent provisions for living, sleeping, cooking, eating and sanitation – are considered single-family dwellings.WHAT IF I HAVE A CHANGE OF TENANTS?
Property owners do not need to provide change of tenant information to the city, but current tenant information should be retained by the local contact person and made available when necessary.WHO HAS ACCESS TO RENTAL REGISTRATION INFORMATION?
The database is maintained only for city use, but is considered public record if requested.WHAT HAPPENS IF I DON’T REGISTER?
Violations of the city code are misdemeanors that carry fines up to $500.HOW IS THE ORDINANCE ENFORCED?
The city issues a written citation or summons request to Municipal Court for code violations. Violations include:
- Failure to register a non-owner occupied property
- Refusing to allow the review of required documents or information
- Providing false information
Each day a violation continues is a separate offense. If you receive a citation or summons to Municipal Court, you must contact the Court Administrator to pay the fine or arrange for a plea and hearing within 10 days of the citation/summons.
||Offense Payment with 10 Days
||Payment after 10 Days|
|Third & Subsequent
CAN I APPEAL A CITATION?
Yes, you are entitled to due process, including an administrative hearing and the right to judicial appeal.
For more information regarding this ordinance requirement, please contact Community Services at email@example.com or 979.764.6363