As a neighborhood park, Gabbard Park has proven to be one of the most popular parks in town. Purchased as a result of interest by neighborhood residents, Gabbard received substantial public input during the planning stages. Prior to construction, a Texas A&M professor was consulted to determine recommendations for renovation of the pond. Recreational features include a playground, fishing piers, shelter, 1/3 mile jogging trail, and practice softball fields. Development funding was through the 1981 bond issue. The park is named in honor of Letcher P. Gabbard for his service to the community. Mr. Gabbard was head of the Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology at Texas A&M University from 1922-1940.